Saturday 20 November 2010

Exposure to Advertisement: My Experience

 Exposure to Advertisement

I wake up at 6:40 and I rush into the shower. The first advertisement I come across is my Nivea shower gel and my Colgate tooth paste. By the time I reach down stairs waiting for my car, I have already encountered a dozen restaurant ads and take-away pamphlets outside my door way.  On my way to school, I pass by at least 50 different ads, very commonly seen McDonalds big large yellow M Sign, the Guinness pub, Castro, ToysRUs, the Big Coke replica in Ikea and dozen on car logos. It is amazing how affected I am by this point. I reach school only to see people actually sporting Levis, Castro, Lee, Denim Jeans and Nike, Adidas, Supra sneaks all except their shirts. I see people sporting different company bags, and throughout the day, I see a variety of drinks like Nestea, Arizona and other little snacks of different companies. And throughout my day, laptop is used in at least 75% of my class time, I am flooded with ads and pop ups and whatnot. Not only that, just looking around the classroom, the different company of laptops, ranging from Dell, HP, Lenovo, Toshiba to MAC books. There are spams of prize winning pop ups, and free gifts over the internet. Then there are people always walking around in the corridor with their brand of music players like I-pods and Mp3s and their unique set of headphones, Dr. Dre Beats to be more precise which is a growing trend in our school. By the time I reach home, I get on with my homework and am on my laptop for 5-6 hours because I go to bed pretty late. The amount of internet usage is scary. I have noticed that pop-ups increase, especially when I am on a website for watching shows online on websites like SideReel which branches me to all the links where I can watch the show online. In this process, I encounter double the ads because the websites are made in such a way, that when you click on a page, an involuntary link immediately pops up, with new ads every single day. I don’t watch t.v because I don’t have time for that because all my needs are fulfilled over the internet. Also, in the morning drives to school, when I tune into radio, which is not very often, because most of its in Hebrew, I do come across a lot of ads during the brakes.


My Findings:
Shop advertisements: 100 +
Product advertisements: 50+
Billboards: 15 around
Internet ads: Prize winning: 5
Online games: 4
Cash prizes: 5
Dating online ads: 12+
       

No comments:

Post a Comment