Monday 6 September 2010

Media Consumption Blog- Week 1

In a course of a single day, how much time did you spend with:
Thursday 12:00-9:00 p.m

·      Print: 30-35 minutes
·      Photography: NA
·      Radio: 20 minutes
·      Film: 5 hours
·      Television: 1 hour
·      Computer: 9-10 hours

What other type of media did you encounter
·      Billboards: while riding the bus from school, encountered the following advertisements
-       The Cat house
-       FedEx
-       Orange
-       Toyrus
-       McDonalds
-       Coca Cola
-       Milk product
-       Castro
-       T-shirts
-       Model United Nations
-       Save a Child's Heart
-       Castro
-       Moo Milk
-       Dominos
-       KFC
-       AM:PM

How much of your time was devoted to multiple media?
Approximately 5 hours

Which media were used in combination?
·      Music, Facebook and youtube.
·      Phone and music
·      TV and laptop
·       Newspaper and music

How much of your media activity was voluntary ?
80% or more of my media activity was voluntary

How much media activity was involuntary?
20% of my media activity was involuntary

How much involuntary media activity was embedded in voluntary media? 
Probably all 20% of my involuntary media activity was embedded in my voluntary media.

Do you devote more or less time to media-related activities during the weekend?
Over the weekends, I devote less time to media-related activities because I am usually outside.

How many of your weekend social activities revolve around the use of media?
On a normal weekend(Friday-Sunday) 12-14 hours of my social activities revolve around the use of media.


Reflection: This was my first media consumption blog. I did this on a Thursday which was a regular school day for me. And I noticed that even when I spend 7 hours at school, out of that I spend a minimum of 3 hours on my laptop because it is required in most of my classes. Also, everyday I travel about 40 minutes to both ways to reach school, and on that way, I encountered a minimum of 40 advertisements. Also I felt that I use a lot of combined form of media, because I like to work with music on whenever I am home doing homework, or watching any show, and I am on Facebook a lot of the times, while conversing with my mates during 6:30-11 p.m. But I realized that around 9-10 p.m which is around my dinner time, I am usually on Youtube or SideReel watching t.v shows. So I am guessing that a lot of the advertisements which I notice are for entertainment and not political. Because if I was in India right now doing this project, I would have definitely mentioned Political party banners and rallies because it is so open there.  

No comments:

Post a Comment